Southeast resident Cristy Tierney is hoping the generosity local folks showed earlier this week during a Hurricane Sandy donation drive will continue Friday.
She and a family member plan to drive Saturday to Far Rockaway and Breezy Point in Queens and deliver items that may be of use to those recovering from Hurricane Sandy. Here are the items she's collecting:
- Baby items: Baby and children's over-the-counter medication, bottles, diapers, food, formula, wipes
- Batteries (mostly C or D)
- Cleaning supplies: Bleach, brooms, mops
- Clothing: Coats, gloves, hats, jackets, scarves
- Face masks
- First aid items
- Food (ready to eat, easy to open)
- Juices (bottled or canned)
- Powdered milk
- Work gloves
Tierney is looking for another driver to join. Items may be left on the porch at the Brewster Elks Lodge 2101 on Route 22 in Southeast until 10 p.m. Friday. Folks who are unable to stop by, but who are looking to donate items, should call 845-582-0664.
"Please spread the word," Tierney, who has posted more than 40 flyers around town, said. "These poor people really need our help. I know what it is like to lose everything you've worked so hard for in a matter of hours. It really is so devastating."