Today, Dec. 28, 2012, marks exactly two years since Southeast-Brewster Patch launched.
Covering this community, and sometimes neighboring parts of Putnam, is an amazing job. I value it for so many reasons.
But the thing I love most about being local editor for Southeast-Brewster Patch is the privilege of getting to know you, community members, and hearing all your stories.
In the last two years, my colleagues and I have published many of those stories. In total, more than 5,800 posts have appeared on the site.
Most of them deal with what's happening—crime, education, government, politics—in Brewster and Southeast, from Foggintown Road, Main Street and Gage Road to Routes 202, 22, 312 and 6, as well as the interstates and the backroads. The information comes in all sorts of formats: photos, videos and the written word. Much of it, like these photos, or these blog posts about a big project calling for a hotel and stores off Route 312, is submitted by your neighbors.
We've covered plenty of meetings, sports events and community gatherings, but the types of stories that proved most popular on the site varied. Here is a list of the top posts for 2012:
- Autopsy Scheduled for Man Found Hanging in Brewster
- Brewster High Graduate Dies at 28
- Brewster Teen Allowed Back in Dugout During Section Tournament
- Cops: Man Pulled Gun During Dispute at Route 22 Gas Station
- Cops: Woman Charges at Couple Changing Baby's Diaper
- Guest Column: New Restaurant Review
- Horse Falls from Trailer on I-684
- North Salem Brothers Charged in Assault on Brewster Teens
- Officials: Brewster Woman Found Dead
- Police: Ex-Cop in Jail After Shooting
- Police Investigate Fatal Southeast Crash
- POLL: Do You Support the Crossroads Plan?
- Route 22 Accident Leaves 1 Dead
- Route 22 Structure Fire Still Burning After More Than 3 Hours
- Route 311 Blocked Off for Police Activity
- Sheriff: 3 Ex-BCSD Program Employees Face Felonies
- Storm Hub: Second Shelter Opens
- Thousands to Pray for 'Little Fighter' on His 5th Birthday
- Troopers: Woman in Critical Condition After Serious Crash on I-684
- Ty Louis Campbell Loses Battle to Cancer at 5
- VIDEO: Ty Louis Campbell's Name Soars in the Sky
We couldn't have shared these stories without your help—the news tips, comments, blogs, photos and questions you provided were key in shaping our coverage. We're confident that those connections will remain strong as we enter 2013, so that Southeast-Brewster Patch continues to be your one-stop location for news and conversation.
If there's one thing we want to stress going into the new year, it's that Patch is a platform for you to share news with your fellow residents. And it only takes a few clicks. So if you're looking for a New Year's resolution, consider a vow to boost your activity on Patch. Not only is it simple, but it's the perfect way to make the most out of local life.
Here are some instructions on how to get involved in the conversation:
Comment on articles: We love discussion and smart debate. We welcome reader comments about small issues we may have missed. Tell us about new initiatives, school accomplishments, neighborhood issues and more. Don't like our coverage? Tell us.
Add photos: We want your best shots. Add them to our gallery. You can also add photos to articles by clicking "Upload" near the photos we have featured.
Sign up for newsletters: Get a daily summary of Southeast-Brewster-specific news delivered directly to your inbox daily or once a week. The site is updated multiple times each day, so news is always fresh. Scroll to the bottom of the home page and click on "Newsletters."
Post events to the Calendar: Get the word out about your events by adding them to our calendar. Or use the calendar to find out what's going on around town.
Become a blogger: Community members and experts blog weekly on the site. Have a subject area of expertise? Send me an email and I'll get you started as a blogger.
Rate local businesses in the Directory: It features nearly every business, school and organization in town. Use the section to find phone numbers, addresses and hours, and don't forget to rate the establishment!
Make announcements: Need volunteers? Get married? Lose a pet? Announce it in our announcements section so the community knows.