There are tons of ways to keep busy around Putnam County this weekend, and we're here to help you decide which happenings are for you.
Here are the details for three great events. Scroll down to the end of this article for information on a few more.
1. Show Your Support for the Brewster Fire Department (BFD) at Sunday's Open House
When/Where: Noon to 4 p.m. Sunday/Brewster Fire Department (main station) on North Main Street in the Village
Why go: This community event promises to be both educational and fun. Department volunteers will wrestle with a live burn, the State Police will bring in a dive tank and the Putnam County Sheriff's Office will sponsor a safe child ID station. There will be fire truck rides and pony rides, too—all for free. If you're still not convinced, check out the awesome assembly BFD members delivered to Brewster youngsters earlier this week.
2. Grin N' Bear It
When/Where: 9 a.m. Sunday/Brewster High School on Foggintown Road in Southeast
Why go: This event benefits the district's safe driving program, as well as the intermediate-middle school PTA. It's the second consecutive year local folks will show their support and run or walk in the 5K. And they can always use a good cheer, so even if you're not participating, swing by and share some positive energy!
3. See a Rehabilitated Hawk Fly into Nature, in Honor of SuperTy
When/Where: 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Saturday/Mahopac Falls Volunteer Fire Department on Luccaro Lane in Mahopac
Why go: Ty Louis Campbell, a 5-year-old cancer patient from Pawling, is fighting for his life. He is in need of a miracle, so folks from all over Putnam and the surrounding area are set to come together and send well-wishes. They'll do so as animal expert Lisa Acton releases a Red-Tailed Hawk, who was found in poor condition in Cold Spring and is now in good health. Other animals will also be on hand for educational activities. Organizers will raffle off prizes and collect donations for the Ty Louis Campbell Foundation, a non-profit dedicated to raising funds for pediatric cancer research.
More things to do this weekend:
- 19th Annual Westchester Fine Craft Show in White Plains
- Annual Fall Art Exhibit in Carmel
- Avoiding Childhood Obesity: Tips for Keeping Kids Healthy in Carmel
- Bob Dylan Exhibition at Tilly Foster Farm in Southeast
- Farmers Market in Brewster
- Hit for Hope Fundraiser in Southeast
- Putnam Cycling Classic in Cold Spring
- Saturday Scribes in Brewster
- Tag sales (regional)
- VFW Breakfast in Southeast