The Putnam County Emergency Management team sent the following to residents, via NY-Alert (the state's online communication system), Wednesday afternoon:
Headline: PUTNAM COUNTY STATE OF EMERGENCY REMAINS, POWER OUTAGES, OFFICES CLOSED FOR WEEK, COMFORT STATIONS OPEN IN TOWNS
Putnam County Executive MaryEllen Odell reminds Putnam County residents that the County remains in a State of Emergency.
As of noon today, there were 115 roads closed in Putnam County and NYSEG and Central Hudson reported that of the 38,019 Putnam County customers, 34,087 or 80 percent are without power. The breakdown by town is as follows:
· Village of Brewster 80%
· Carmel 89%
· Kent 99%
· Patterson 93%
· Putnam Valley 99%
. Philipstown 31%
. Southeast 56%
County Executive Odell also announces that Putnam County Government Offices will remain closed on Thursday, November 1st and Friday, November 2, 2012. All county scheduled functions, including meetings and events, are also cancelled until further notice. The closures are due to lingering widespread power outages and significant road closures.
Comfort Stations will remain open and we will continue to bring you the latest information as it becomes available.
- County of Putnam, Putnam Valley Senior Center (117 Town Park Lane in Putnam Valley) and the William Koehler Senior Center (180 Route 6 in Mahopac) will be open from 8 a.m. through 9 p.m.
- Town of Southeast and the Village of Brewster, in conjunction with United Cerebral Palsy (15 Mount Ebo Road South in Southeast), will be open from 7 a.m. through 7 p.m.
- Town of Patterson, Patterson Recreation Center (65 Front Street in Patterson) will be open from 6:30 a.m. through 9 p.m.
- Town of Philipstown, Philipstown Recreation Center (107 Glenclyffe Drive in Garrison) will be open from 8 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.
- The Town of Carmel's comfort station will be open at Town Hall (60 McAlpin Avenue in Mahopac) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Town of Kent's comfort station will be open at Town Hall (25 Sybil's Crossing in Kent Lakes) from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Temple Beth Shalom's comfort station (760 Route 6 in Mahopac) will be open until 10 p.m.
- Butterfield Memorial Library (10 Morris Avenue in Cold Spring)will open for usual business and comfort until 8:00 p.m.
The Putnam County Department of Health is announcing the cancellation of the Rabies Vaccination Clinic for this Saturday, Nov. 3, at the Brook Farm Veterinary Center in Patterson due to the impact of Hurricane Sandy. The clinic has been rescheduled for Nov. 17, from 2 to 4 p.m.
Putnam County Executive MaryEllen Odell expressed that, "In this challenging time, it is requested that we remember to check in on friends and neighbors who may be in need of assistance and are unable to reach out for help. We want to thank the first responders, especially the highway departments, utility workers, fire departments, EMS staff, ambulance corps, police, Sheriff's Department and everyone who put the families of Putnam County residents before their own. Know that your county government is doing everything that it can to ensure the safety of its residents."