Update, 9:30 a.m. Thursday — The snow stopped after about half a foot fell in Southeast. Brewster Central School District is running on a two-hour delay. Patterson Library pushed back its regular opening time to noon for Thursday.
Folks in the area reported fair driving conditions on the eastern side of Putnam County this morning. The number of outages in Brewster and Southeast, as well as the rest of Putnam, appears to have remained the same since yesterday afternoon, according to the New York State Electric and Gas (NYSEG) website.
Don't forget to share your photos, like the beautiful one featured above. It was submitted by a user yesterday.
Update, 10:10 p.m. Wednesday — New York State Police are advising folks stay off the roads until after the storm ends, which should be some time after midnight.
Brewster officials have also canceled tomorrow morning's Team Brewster meeting.
Original story, 1:45 p.m. Wednesday — Experts are calling for the first snowfall of the year to leave two to five inches on the ground in Brewster by Thursday morning.
The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for Putnam and Orange counties in New York, as well as Western Passaic in New Jersey. It warns of snow and gusty winds, plus temperatures in the 30s, Wednesday afternoon and night.
"A combination of snow, gusty winds and temperatures around freezing could make travel difficult at times, especially in higher elevations," reads the advisory, which is in effect until 6 a.m. Thursday. "This combination could also bring down trees and power lines."
Just last week, thousands around Putnam were in the dark after Hurricane Sandy hit, killing two young North Salem boys and taking down dozens of trees all over the area. Crews from NYSEG were still working to restore power over the weekend. As of 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, the company's website cites about 30 outages in Brewster.
News outlets say the Nor'Easter will impact New Jersey and New York, as well as parts of New England. The storm is expected to be "far weaker" than Hurricane Sandy, the Huffington Post reports.
Snow began to fall in Putnam at about 1 p.m. Here are some of the cancellations and early closures it's causing around town:
- All after-school and evening activities at Brewster Central Schools for Wednesday. Same goes for Carmel and Mahopac.
- Brewster Sports Center is closed Wednesday night.
- Playscape in Southeast is closing at 2 p.m. Wednesday.
- Religious education classes at St. Lawrence O'Toole Church are canceled for Wednesday.
- The entire Fire Police Course offered through Putnam County has been canceled. The course will be rescheduled at a later date, officials announced Wednesday afternoon.
- The Firefighter 1 class scheduled for tonight is canceled.
- The Freight House Cafe in Mahopac is closing at 3 p.m. Wednesday.
- Seven Star School of Performing Arts in Brewster will not hold classes Wednesday.
- Sun Sational Rays in Southeast is closed Wednesday night.