The Hill Neighborhood Association will host "Peace and Lights On The Hill" on Christmas Eve night from 6PM to midnight. Luminaries will be lit thoughout the neighborhood as a show of peace and unity among friends and neighbors. The candles will also be in honor of those lost in nearby Newtown, Connecticut. We are inviting everyone in The Village of Brewster, the Town of Southeast and throughout Putnam County to join us in displaying peace throughout the community. For more information, email email@example.com
- Luminaries can be lit from 6pm to midnight on Christmas Eve night.
- Start by using paper lunch bags. White bags reflect the glow from the flame better, but brown and colored bags may be also be used. You may want to alternate white and colored bags for a unique effect.
- Fill the bags with 2 or 3 inches of sand or cat litter. Use enough sand or litter to stabilize the bags and prevent them from blowing away in the wind, but don’t make them so deep that the sand will cover the candle.
- Place a tea candle in the center of the sand. If you want the luminaries to burn for several hours,use larger votive candles.
- Arrange the luminaries outside your home. Line your walkway or driveway with luminaries.
- Light the luminaries with a long lighter or fireplace matches.
- Check the luminaries every hour, relighting any that have gone out and replacing any candles that have burned down
- Extinguish the luminaries before you go to bed. Pour a small amount of water over the candles to ensure that the flames have been completely extinguished.
Tips & Warnings
- If there is snow on the ground, wrap the bottom of your luminaries in plastic wrap to prevent them from getting wet.