Editor's note: Patch thanks the Putnam County Sheriff's Office for provided this piece of news:
Carmel — Putnam County Sheriff Donald B. Smith is asking residents and visitors to take precautionary measures while enjoying the autumn season in Putnam County.
The fall season attracts many people to see the fall foliage in Putnam County. Many use the Putnam County Rail Trail, while others hike on the trails of Breakneck Mountain and Fahnstock State Park. Indeed, this time of year offers beautiful places to ride a bicycle, walk or jog. However, those participating in outdoor activities are urged to use safety precautions when preparing for such leisurely pursuits.
Therefore, Sheriff Smith is offering the following safety tips to ensure personal safety:
- Wear bright-colored clothing, especially near hunting areas.
- Preplan your trip. Let someone know where you are going and when you are expected to return.
- Familiarize yourself with the area you plan to visit, knowing the existing terrain and potential hazards.
- Always bring water and a fully charged cellular telephone with you.
- Avoid going alone. Take another person with you so you will have the benefit of the “buddy system."
- Plan to return from your activity before darkness falls.
- Report any suspicious activity to the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at 845-225-4300, or at 845-265-9551 or a local police department.
- Dial 9-1-1 to report any emergency.
“Putnam County is a beautiful place all year around. It is especially enjoyable when we see the bright colored foliage that the autumn season offers," Smith said. "Using a common sense approach when taking day trips and adhering to simple rules of safety will make outdoor activities more pleasurable and will ensure your safety."