An accidental flour spill in the kitchen at First United Methodist Church led to a fire alarm and a smoke-filled room Thursday morning, officials say.
Members of the Brewster Fire Department and the Brewster Police Department (BPD) responded to the Main Street building at about 9:45. The fire alarm had sounded a few moments earlier and the approximately 25 people who were inside—where the Longview School operates—evacuated.
First responders discovered smoke in the kitchen, which is located downstairs. They believe an accidental spill of flour onto a hot stove top caused burning, which created a good amount of smoke, police said.
Firefighters set up fans and cleared the room. There was reportedly very little damage, and folks were able to reenter the building about 45 minutes later.