It's free, it's from 9 a.m. to noon at the Canopus Beach parking area, Fahnstock State Park, Route 301.
It's sponsored by the Putnam County Department of Health and New York State
Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC).
- You can safely dispose of toxic materials such as: household cleaners, pesticides, herbicides, oil based paint (not latex), automotive solvents, thinners, mothballs, rodent poisons, gasoline, kerosene, small propane tanks (up to 20 pound size), etc.
- Improper storage or disposal of hazardous waste poses a health risk to you, your family and neighbors.
There are conditions:
- Disposal items will only be accepted if they are labeled and identifiable.
- Items which will not be accepted are water-based paints (latex), used oil, lead-acid batteries, plastic bags, batteries, tires, electronic waste or any materials from commercial establishments.
- Pre-registration is required. Call early to reserve your spot. Call the Putnam County Department of Health at (845) 808-1390 ext. 43150 with questions about the event or to pre-register.
For a complete list of items being accepted, please visit the Health Department website at http://www.putnamcountyny.com/green-putnam/.